News Briefs

Showing posts 1 - 0 of 23. View more »

2015 Energy Codes Update

To request copies of:
2015 CBES Code Book
2015 RBES Handbook
Call the Energy Code Assistance Center at 
2015 updated versions of the VT Residential Building Energy Standards (RBES) and the VT Commercial Building Energy Standards (CBES) are now adopted and became effective March 1, 2015.

An RBES "Stretch" Code (see below) is also adopted and will be effective December 1, 2015.


On June 17, 2013, the Vermont legislature adopted Act 89, which clarifies the applicability of Vermont’s residential and commercial building energy codes to mixed-use buildings and includes various amendments to promote compliance with those codes, such as using existing State and local permit processes to encourage compliance.


Vermont’s First Stretch Code

Act 89 also amends the RBES statute to authorize the Vermont Public Service Department (PSD) to adopt a “stretch” code for residential buildings to achieve greater energy savings than the baseline RBES.  Additionally, the PSD is developing a “stretch” guidline for commercial buildings to achieve greater energy savings than the baseline CBES. Municipalities will have the option to adopt either or both stretch codes as part of their land use bylaws.

More Information

 For complete information about both the Residential and Commercial energy codes, including the most recent documents in pdf form, visit the Public Service Department web site here-RBES and here-CBES.

And for further details and training materials on the 2015 update, visit:  

Building Energy Standards Update

Where can I get information on Vermont Codes?

Visit our Summary Page of Vermont Codes. It includes a listing of applicable residential and commercial codes and links to the responsible state or municipal organization for each.

2012 VT Fire and Building Safety Code Effective November 5, 2012

See the Division of Fire Safety Website for more information!

Energy Code Books Available

Need a copy of the 2015 Vermont Commercial and/or Residential Building Energy Standard (CBES or RBES)?

Contact the 
Energy Code Assistance Center 
(at Efficiency Vermont) at 
for your free copy of either the commercial code book 
or the residential handbook

Note to BSA-VT Members:

Please share your news with your Association!  Starting a new project?  New hiring efforts?  Have an issue that you would like to know more about?

Let us know by emailing  The Board of Directors will review your input and incorporate it into new programs, newsletters or website content.  How can we help you?